Edit: I don't equate Tch and BTC. I'm just giving an example, that is, a comparison, of a real situation that would have happened if Satoshi had not been anonymous. Does anyone really think that if Satoshi wasn't anonymous, the government wouldn't have found a way to charge him with money laundering, tax evasion, criminal activity, aiding criminals, etc.?
As most of you know, the American government accuses the creators of Tornado Cash of laundering more than $1 billion in digital currency.
In other words, the arrested open source software developers were arrested because criminals were using their platform.
I don't know about you, but for me it's the same as saying that FORD engineers were arrested because the car they built was used to rob a bank.
Or, we can arrest the CEO of Apple or Samsung because their phones are used by criminals to communicate.
It is highly likely that they would want to investigate and potentially prosecute any illegal activities associated with the use of Bitcoin, such as money laundering or tax evasion
It is obvious that Satoshi would be arrested shortly after the creation of Bitcoin, which in essence cannot fall under the absolute control of governments. It is highly likely that they would want to investigate and potentially prosecute any illegal activities associated with the use of Bitcoin, such as money laundering or tax evasion.
So how did Satoshi stayed anonymous? (my two cents on this)
– Satoshi used air-gaped devices. Air Gaped devices are devices that involve isolating a computer or network and preventing it from establishing an external connection.
– VPN and Proxy Servers.
– It is also possible that Satoshi was connecting from some location where many people are connecting (think about main square of some city, some restaurant or some cafe. It is possible to use hi-gain antennas so there is no need to even be physically present in that place)
– Using virtual machines, on a fresh new machines
– It is highly likely that Satoshi used benefits of the TOR network
What are the benefits of Satoshi remaining anonymous?
– First of all, they can't arrest him if they don't know Satoshis identity
– By not revealing identity, Nakamoto ensured that no group or a person can influence or control over Bitcoin by using his identity
– Bitcoin, like Tornado Cash, may be seen as a disruptive tech. This way Satoshi avoided legal and regulatory implications, and left it all to the community
– Can't be targeted by governments, hackers, criminals etc.
I think it is obvious that govenrments play by their own rules. I also don't believe that creators of Tornado Cash were deliberately helping Lazarus, a North Korean hacker group. If they were, they deserve everything that is coming to them.
Edit: Fixed typos. I probably missed some along the way.