I'm Sylvain Chassang, an Econ Prof at Princeton, and a cautiously optimistic crypto investor since 2018. I'm here to discuss risk management, and the work we do at www.golucid.io, where I help build and maintain risk-managed portfolio indices. Our mission is to help people take better risks.
I'll be live Friday January 26 from 9AM to noon, New York time (2pm to 5pm UTC).
My goal for this AMA is to have a conversation on risk-management in crypto, and learn from your experiences. Ask me anything about what we do. Bring up the challenges you’ve faced as investors, and aspects of the market that puzzle you. Share tips on how you manage your own risk exposure. Feel free to get into the nitty gritty of risk-management techniques and implementation challenges.
Note: everything I say is for discussion & educational purposes; nothing I say should be taken as financial or legal advice.
Risk Management Handbook
As prep for this AMA, I wrote a guide on risk management for crypto. It’s available here makes the following points:
- Risk management in crypto isn't just about avoiding losses, it can help you compound faster.
- Volatility is not always a bad sign in crypto. Unlike equities, high volatility periods in crypto are not associated with lower returns.
- Sudden crashes grab headlines, but long sequences of small losses are surprisingly frequent and can erode wealth.
- Regular rebalancing and drawdown control can both help you deal with those risks and compound faster.
- Risk management always causes regret over the short run. If you can, it’s better not to look.
I hope this guide is useful to you.