Greetings r/Cryptocurrency, we are with the U.S. Secret Service’s San Francisco Field Office and the Bay Area Regional Enforcement Allied Computer Team, better known as REACT.
You probably know the Secret Service protects the leaders of the United States, but did you know we’re also responsible for safeguarding the nation’s financial infrastructure? In today’s world, that often involves the world of cryptocurrency.
Here in San Francisco, we have a squad dedicated to keeping cryptocurrency and its users safe. We are comprised of Special Agents and Analysts who have embraced the future of money, and we’re eager to share our work with this cryptocurrency community and provide resources and education to help keep your money safe. We’re also eager to learn from you.
Here are a few resources to learn more about what the Secret Service does:
- Secret Service – Cyber Investigations
- Secret Service: Safeguarding the Next Generation Currency (YouTube)
The REACT Task Force is a multi-jurisdictional team focused on the investigation of high-tech crimes. REACT works to disrupt criminal networks, identify emerging threats, and assist on cases requiring specialized expertise. In the past 12 months, our team has investigated “Pig Butchering” cryptocurrency thefts and we have recovered millions in stolen funds. We want to share resources and tips on how to protect potential victims from cryptocurrency scammers.
Here are a few resources to learn more about what REACT does:
- How Pig Butchering Works
- Operation Shamrock
- South Bay Tech Crime Team Aids Bust in Big Bitcoin Theft
Here are some recent cases the USSS and REACT have been involved in:
- Three Individuals Charged for Alleged Roles in Twitter Hack
- Cryptocurrency Scam Victim Gets $100k Back
- Alleged Russian Cryptocurrency Money Launderer Extradited to United States
- Ten Hackers Arrested for String of SIM-Swapping Attacks Against Celebrities
- Court Authorized the Seizure of Domains Used in Furtherance of Pig Butchering Schemes
- Bitcoin of America
You can expect to see these two accounts on this thread:
- /u/SF-USSS – U.S. Secret Service | Digital Asset Technology Alliance | San Francisco
- /u/REACT-TF – REACT Task Force | Santa Clara County District Attorney's Office
We’ll be here answering questions on May 15th from 11am PT until 1pm PT. Please feel free to submit questions in advance, and we’ll do our best to answer as many as possible.
Do you want to put your passion for cryptocurrency or cybersecurity to good use? We’re looking to hire 450 Special Agents this year. For more information visit www.secretservice.gov/join